Jan 15, 2010

Winter Sewing

Rain if forecast this weekend. I sewed these winter seeds. Jan 20. more rain in forecast, seeded again.

Rocket Larkspur Baby Blue Eyes Perennial Lupine Sweet Alyssum
Rocket Larkspur Baby Blue Eyes Perennial Lupine Sweet Alyssum

Larkspur has done very well here in the past as have the Baby Blue Eyes. The perennial Lupine and Sweet Alyssum have been sporadic performers in my garden. I'll look for replacements in the future. A good replacement for the Perinnial Lupine might be the Arroyo Lupin, although it's an annual, it tolerates our heavy soil and humidity better.

I cast the seed by hand into the beds and waste areas even on top of heavy mulch. I plan to cast sand, grit and peat over the areas with heavier mulch to increase those seeds chances.

No comments: